Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Two steps forward, two steps back

We're still potty training and at this rate I feel we'll be potty training forever (I know, I know, it's only been 4 1/2 days). As of yesterday we entered the power struggle phase. Do you know who wins in a power struggle with a toddler? I can tell you it's definitely not me. So we go with it and stay the course.

Last night Tom told me to take off for a couple of hours to regain some sanity. I went to the mall for a coffee and some retail therapy. Only even then I couldn't fully get away from potty training. I found myself at Borders Express buying the only 2 books they had on potty training. I know you're not supposed to change methods and you have to stay consistent, but I wanted different perspectives to see if maybe we were missing something that would help.

I also got Stasa a princess ABC book with an attached Magna Doodle as a special potty time only book. I knew she'd want it because it has 3 of her favorite things: princesses, ABCs, and drawing. I came home, showed it to her and told her it was only for potty time. Don't you know that girl whipped off her panties and happily sat on the potty. Was this the same kid that refused to go anywhere near the potty not five minutes earlier? See? Power struggle. Only clever mommy won this round.

I went to bed last night thinking "tomorrow's a new day" and was ready to give this whole thing another shot. This morning she peed on the floor in front of me, almost defiant-like. I told her it was yucky pee pee and it needs to go in the potty, made her walk to the potty and sit on it, made her check her panties to feel that they were wet and then made her help clean up her mess. I'm definitely going to make her start cleaning up her messes.

Tom also pointed out that this is the longest she's been cooped up in the house. We weren't even inside this long during the snowpocalypse. Today we're going to attempt our first trip out of the house sans diaper. I'll just be prepared for multiple accidents while we're out.

Tomorrow she's going back to daycare. I need a break.

3 comments:

Liz F said...

Hang in there - even if you don't have a pet, a pet food store (Petco or whatever) is a great place for an outing while potty training. They are used to dogs peeing on the floor and have paper towels out for easy clean up!

Merks said...

I didn't even think of a pet store! We managed a trip to Target (and even had lunch) and she kept her pants dry. I know she's capable of controlling her bladder and she knows it. I just need to be patient.

Unknown said...

I'm right there with u in potty training hell. He absolutely knows what to do but he wants things his way and refuses to sit on the toilet half the time. Good luck to you guys and hang in there! Hopefully they will both cooperate soon!