Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Sometimes I get it all done and sometimes it all falls apart.

Yesterday, instead of taking a nap while Lexi napped, I decided to clean the house from top to bottom. Floors were vacuumed and steam mopped, surfaces were dusted, laundry started, dishes cleaned and put away, rooms straightened up, and toys put away.

Oh the toys. We have an entire room dedicated to toys - you've seen it, it's lovely and everything has a home. So why do the toys feel the need to run away to other parts of the house? About once a week I go through the house with a bag and collect all of the runaways and return them from whence they came. 

Where was I? Oh right. Doing it all. So I cleaned the house, opened the windows for a fresh breeze, and even managed to iron a weeks worth of clothes for Tom. And while Tom made dinner, I took a trip to the craft store with Stasa for supplies to make a spring/summer wreath for our front door. 

After dinner we took Stasa and Lexi out for a quick family walk. Well, Stas "rode" her trike and we walked. And we finished up the evening with playing with sidewalk chalk and "riding" daddy's bike. 

All in all a very productive day. After putting Stasa to bed and getting Lexi swaddled and sleeping, we collapsed on the couch to relax and then went up to bed.

Then all hell broke loose. Lexi woke up and was inconsolable. She was congested and gassy - the worst kind of combination. At one point I felt my body tense and started to feel the stress and frustration creep in. Before it really hit, I took a deep breath, shook it off, and gave my poor tired baby a kiss.

I finally (finally!) got Lexi back to sleep and just as I was sinking into our bed I heard little (big) feet pad in and a messy blonde head appeared at my side. I'm so exhausted at this point, I decide to pull Stasa into bed with us. Lexi starts squawking as I'm getting Stasa settled. Of course when I get out of bed, Stasa does too, so I had no choice but to wake up poor Tom for some help. 

Remember that nap I put aside in favor of house cleaning? It was at this moment that I wished I had taken advantage of that time.

I rocked and nursed Lexi for what felt like hours and gave her some gripe water, which seemed to help a bit with the gassiness. Once I got her back to sleep, I went into Stasa's room to relieve Tom. Only by the time he got back to our room, Lexi was back up. Both girls stayed awake and both were fussy for the remainder of the night. I think we all finally fell asleep somewhere around 6:00am, just in time for poor Tom to get up for work. 

As hard as last night (and this morning) was, seeing how cute and happy the girls are makes it all worth it.

No comments: