Sunday, February 24, 2013

And they're sick again

I guess I should be grateful that when my kids get sick they coordinate it so they both get the same thing at the same time. It started on Saturday evening. I noticed Stasa was talking a little funny so I got a flashlight and checked her throat. Sure enough, swollen and red tonsils. She didn't have a fever and was acting like her normal self, although she did have a slight rash on her chest.

Both girls went to bed as usual last night and Tom and I stayed up piecing together a black and white puzzle of the New York City skyline. Yeah, party on!

Around 3ish Stasa came in our room and I just pulled her into bed because I was way too exhausted to even roll out of bed. I did eventually roll out for my middle of the night bathroom break and put the baby monitor on before I got back in bed. I woke up again around 5ish to Lexi whining, but when I saw the time I opted to turn the monitor off and let her go back to sleep. At some point Tom got up and put the monitor back on.

It was past 8:00 when Stasa woke me up and we heard Lexi singing in her room. Stasa went to open her door to let her out. All we hear over the monitor is "OH MY GOD LEXIA. Don't move. Poop everywhere. MOMMY!"

I looked over at Tom and thought "come on!" I prepare myself for the worst only to be hit with something even worse than poop: PUKE. Puke everywhere. I'm guessing that when she was whining around 5:00 was when she puked. I felt awful that she had been sleeping in it. Tom came in and took Lexi in for a bath while I striped her bed and cleaned everything up.

We took both girls in to urgent care since I had a strong suspicion that they both had strep. Sure enough, I was right and they're both now on antibiotics for the next 10 days. Two hours after giving the girls their first dose, Lexi got sick all over herself and the floor. So up we went for bath #2 of the day (and bath #3 in less than 24 hours) while Tom cleaned up the mess on the floor. I knew it was coming, too. I heard her stomach gurgling and then about 10 minutes later she started coughing.

We spent most of the day trying to keep her hydrated and after the second puke Tom made everyone a banana smoothie. We were hoping that would help stop her up a bit because between these little stomach emptying parties she was busy blowing out of her diaper.

Well after she finished her smoothie the stomach gurgles started again. I asked if she was feeling sick and she said yes, so I took her into the bathroom. We cuddled on the bathroom floor in front of the toilet. I told her to put her puke in the potty and sure enough about 10 minutes after we went in she stood up, leaned over the toilet, and let it all out. As soon as she was done she proudly looked up and said "I puked in the potty!" So much nicer than having it all over the floor.

She finally seemed to feel a little better, but was walking around like a drunkard because she was just so exhausted. While Tom and Stasa ran out to grab dinner, Lexi curled up in my arms and passed out. For the night. My poor little boo boo.

Stasa still sounds horrible, but acted like her normal self for the majority of the day (minus the exhaustion meltdown she had right before bed). Both girls are staying home tomorrow and hopefully they'll actually manage to eat something (and keep it down).

Here's what my day looked like.
(technically from Saturday):


Refusing to eat dinner on Saturday





No comments: