Monday, March 28, 2011

Oh, Stasa. Poor Stasa.

The entire time I was pregnant with Alexia everyone would ask "What does Stasa think?!" and I'd always tell them she really has no clue what's going on. I mean she would lift my shirt, point to my belly and exclaim "baby!", but she would do the same thing to Tom and anyone else. I don't think she really got it until we actually brought Lexi home with us. 


Friends and coworkers told me how seeing Stasa with Alexia would melt my heart and they were right. It does melt my heart everytime Stasa gives Lexi kisses or asks to hold her or brings her a blanket. Stasa really is a caring and loving child and wants to share that love with everyone. But she's also a 2 year old toddler that's been the center of our world and now we've brought a bit of "competition" home with us. Talk about rocking your world.


I have to keep reminding myself it's only been a few days and who can expect a toddler to understand a big life change like this in just a few days. But there have been times this past weekend where I've forgotten all of that and wonder what we got ourselves into. It started our last hour at the hospital. Tom left to take some stuff down to the car before I was discharged and left me with both girls. The minute he walked out, Alexia started wailing, needing a diaper change. While I'm changing and trying to comfort her, Stasa runs over crying and yelling at me, saying "I poopy TOOOOO! Mommy, I poopy, too!!!!" And then she climbed up in the bed, laid down next to Lexi and insisted that I change her, too. And of course they were both still wailing at this point. It didn't help that Stas didn't get a nap at all that day. 


She wasn't much better once we got home - refused to eat dinner, threw random items at me and Tom, insisted on climbing in the swing and bouncer...thankfully she went down for bed without any problems.


The next morning she woke up, climbed in our bed and gave everyone a kiss, including Lexi. But then she was back to insisting that we change her and tried taking all of Lexi's blankets away. She got better as the day wore on, but was definitely still struggling. Today's she's back at daycare and we're hoping being back in her regular routine will help. All of that said, I think she's going to be a great big sister once she gets used to the idea of having Lexi around. 

No comments: