Sunday, May 10, 2009

Night 1 of Ferberizing

I braced myself for a rough bedtime since we were continuing to Ferberize Stasa. Since she got a bath after her nap, we just swaddled her to get ready for bedtime. I nursed her while Tom read her a Berenstain Bears book. She slowly fell asleep so we finished the story and then put her in her crib and walked out.

Not 2 minutes later she started crying. We knew she was dry and full. Time to start crying it out (CIO). We checked the clock and waited 5 minutes. She was still crying after 5 minutes, so Tom went in and soothed her - walking her around to calm her back down. He put her back in her crib and walked out. She started crying again. We checked the clock again and waited 5 minutes. She stopped crying after 3 minutes and then just fussed, "eh, eh, eh" for a couple of minutes and then went quiet.

Yes! Tom and I looked at each other with a feeling of accomplishment. No sooner had we looked away, she started crying again. After 2 minutes of crying, Tom went back in to comfort her. Once she was calm he put her back in her crib and walked out. We checked the clock AGAIN and waited 5 minutes. She only cried for about a minute, then fussed, then passed out. We waited a few more minutes, then checked on her. Yep, passed out. SUCCESS.

Now the hard part begins. If she wakes up later tonight, after I feed her I'm going to have to do this all over again. Sigh.

Let me say that it's heartbreaking to hear my little girl cry. It takes all of my will power to not run right in to scoop her up. But I know it's important to let her learn how to self soothe. It's important for her and for us. She's so much happier when she sleeps through the night.

UPDATE: Stasa slept until 2:00AM, then got up to poop, eat, poop & pee and eat some more. After she finished eating, she passed out and didn't cry once. She stayed asleep until 6:30AM, when she decided it was time to be up for the day.

No comments: