Sunday, January 18, 2009

Breastfeeding is hard work

Breastfeeding has been really hard and frustrating, but we're working on it. Stasa has what they call "peanut butter tongue". Her tongue automatically goes to the roof of her mouth when she opens up to eat. We've been doing some tongue training and finger feeding to get her to open her mouth with her tongue down. We saw 3 lactation consultants at the hospital and finally got a good routine down. We try having her latch on her own first. If that doesn't work, we move to the nipple shield, which always works. After she's done feeding I pump for 10 minutes to build up my milk supply. The consultants suggested that I pump every time - even if we've had a good feeding.

We've had a few successful feedings in the past 24 hours which is really encouraging. Stasa and I are both getting the hang of things and my supply is increasing. It's hard to tell if she's getting enough to eat, but she's had the right number of wet and poopy diapers so she must be getting well nourished. Plus she falls asleep right after eating which is another sign that she's gotten enough food.

Everything I've read and everyone I've talked to says it gets easier each time. I'm determined for this to work, so we'll just keep at it.

No comments: