Friday, January 13, 2012

A part of my childhood died today

Stasa turns three on Sunday. I wanted her to be able to celebrate with her classmates today.

I loved when my mom would bake cupcakes for me to share at school. I felt extra special and important when she did. I've been waiting for the day I could do the same for my kids.

Last week I asked two different teachers if I could make cupcakes to bring in for the class and was told by both that I could, but they couldn't have peanuts in them. Done. I did a test run with a new batter recipe that weekend and they turned out pretty good, but a bit dense. I tweaked the recipe and spent last night baking and frosting two dozen cupcakes and was excited to bring them in this morning.

I woke Stasa up and told her today she could bring cupcakes to school to share for her birthday. I'm sure you can picture how excited she was.

We walked into daycare with all of our cupcakes only to be told "Oh no! You can't bring in homemade cupcakes! Only store bought!" Apparently there was a huge miscommunication and I should have double and triple-checked with the director. Lesson learned. I ran to Giant and bought two dozen mini cupcakes for the class. Really, cupcakes are cupcakes to two and three year olds.

But mostly today I'm sad. I'm mourning the loss of a piece of my childhood. It's just not the same buying cupcakes from the store, especially since the store's bakery is using the same ingredients I am. And I really love baking. I guess I'll just have to make sure I bake her one hell of a cake for her birthday this weekend.

1 comment:

Karen said...

You're lucky that you could bring anything! At our school we can't bring candy or cakes in because it's "fattening." :eyeroll: