Thursday, September 29, 2011

Something new everyday

First things first: we have no idea what made Stasa sick. I took her to the doctor today and after looking her over and running a strep test, they sent us home with instructions to bring back a urine sample, which I'm still waiting to get...because, you know, catching my kid's urine in a cup is exactly the type of thing I look forward to. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's just your run-of-the-mill stomach bug and will pass with time.

With all that's been going on with Stasa, we've just been hanging at home, keeping it low key and making good use of the playroom. She surprises us everyday with what she knows. If you ask her to count, she'll say "3, 2, 1, 2, 3!", but if you just sit back and watch her, you'll catch her counting the right way "1, 2, 3...8, 9, 10, 11, teen." Same with the ABCs - she pretends she doesn't know them, but then can sing the entire song if she thinks you aren't paying attention. And she's so damn observant. I swear she's got better eyesight than Tom and me combined. Tonight's moon was barely a sliver (it's a waxing crescent) and she spotted it immediately in the dusky sky. This morning we were stopped at a traffic light and she was quietly announcing the color, size, and type of vehicle that was passing us: "little red cah", "big black truck", "yellow schoolbus!", "ambahlance"...

And she can hear the slightest of whispers. It's like she's a secret agent or something with spy equipment. Tom and I will have a quick conversation in hushed tones and she'll perk up and yell out "Stasa have ice cream, too!" "We going to play place?" "I don't want any naptime!" 

She's something else, that kid. And the other one? Yeah that one has started doing the unbelievable: pulling up. On her own. The other day I went to pick up the girls and spied Lexi playing and stood so she couldn't see me. She crawled right over to this low play pen where another little boy was quietly playing. She got there, grabbed the edge, and slowly but surely pulled herself up to standing and quickly snatched all of the boy's toys. I stood there in awe, but then chalked it up to a fluke. Then she did it again and again when we got home. And then again the next day and the day after that. She so wants to be in on whatever Stasa is doing, after all, that is her current idol. She gets so upset when we're all playing in the same room and Stas walks out and she'll start hightailing it down the hall to be with her big sis. 

We're off to the Yo Gabba Gabba live show tomorrow night at the Patriot Center. Stas will be dressed as Foofa, natch. And you know I'll have pictures to share. For now I'll leave you with these cuties.

No comments: