Monday, July 25, 2011

And so it begins



She really wanted to "play makeups" tonight and I thought "why the hell not?" So play makeups we did. I gave her some eye shadow and mascara I didn't really care about and let her have at it. And don'tcha know she knew exactly where everything went. She even got her hot little hands on my bronzer and managed to get a few swipes on her cheeks before I put it away. I'm sure I've started a terrible thing because now I'll need to put my makeup on before she gets up in the morning lest she see me and insist that she do the same.

And speaking of Miss Stubborn. We've been having a terrible time lately with abuse. I'm pretty sure she's just testing us, but it's breaking us down a bit. Lately if she doesn't get her way, she hits us or sometimes bites us. The biting thing is totally new and somewhat unexpected. Let me rewind a bit to explain.

So last week Tom was giving Stas a bath and called me in to see a mark on her arm. Sure enough there was a bite mark there. It wasn't too bad, but we could tell it was definitely not her biting herself because of the placement of the bite. Stasa insisted that Karma bit her and that she bit Caley. Well, there is no kid in her class named Caley, so who knows what she's talking about. We told her that if anyone bites her again, she should tell the teacher right away. We even asked if she knew who her teachers were to be sure. I mentioned it to the teacher the next morning and figured that would settle it.

Well, that night there was another bite on her arm, this time it was bruised. I told the teacher about it again and showed her the bite and later that morning I called the director to make her aware, too. When I picked up that afternoon I was told that they had a talk about biting and in the future I should get an incident report if it happens again.

Now we think that since she doesn't say anything when she's getting bit at school that it's okay to bite others, particularly Tom. The other night he was trying to get her out of Lexi's room and she of course refused and then bit his leg. Hard. Through his jeans. And left a pretty bad mark. She was immediately put in time out and Tom showed her the mark and told her that biting hurts and that we don't bite, but I just don't think she's getting it because she's still hitting and occasionally biting. The hitting is mostly light swipes, but she's doing it out of anger and sometimes just to do it. Either way it's hitting and it gets a timeout.

Everything I've read has said to refrain from raising your voice when it happens (because they want that reaction and think it's hilarious), put the kid in timeout, don't ask for an explanation (because that implies that there are times when hitting/biting *is* okay), and have them apologize, even if it's a throw-away apology. It's so hard not to yell when she's laughing at us while in timeout. I'm not sure if there's anything else we can do. Hopefully she'll grow out of this terrible phase soon.

I don't want to end on a frustrating note, so here are some pictures of the girls from the past few days.
Saturday morning couch potatoes


Future librarian


FUNNY FACE!


Jumping around



She's so cute, when she wants to be.

No comments: