Friday, August 2, 2013

Babywearing and a quick and easy craft

I am such a huge fan of baby wearing and have used a few different baby carriers to do so. With Stasa I used my stretch jersey wrap a lot and got pretty good at getting it on and her in it. Every time I wore it in public I would get stopped and asked about it - where did I get it, how do I use it, etc. We got a couple of new carriers after I had Lexi - the Babyhawk, which is my absolute favorite carrier, and a Bjorn. The Bjorn has been so great since it's the easiest to get on and off and Tom will actually use it to wear Tommy now. The only issue I have with the Bjorn is comfort. It works well for me for a bit, but after a couple of hours wearing the baby in it my back starts to ache and I think it's because all of the weight is being carried on your shoulders.


The Babyhawk is fantastic. It's got the comfort of a wrap, but the structure of the Bjorn. AND you can carry older children in it, which has been helpful lately. The girls have been really into taking care of their baby dolls lately, both of whom are named Tommy, and like to bring their doll strollers everywhere we go. Unfortunately the strollers are sometimes just too much for us to bring so I decided to make baby mei tei carriers for them. It took me maybe an hour or so to make them and get this - they only cost about $2 a piece to make. The girls love them and they were soooooooooo easy to make. A couple of rectangles of fabric, some thin quilting batting, and a few long tubes for straps. I could have made these with fabric I already had, but I took Lexi to the fabric store and let her pick out something for her and for Stasa. Now they can wear their babies like we wear Tommy. So many baby Tommys. I might make some extras since I have additional batting and if I do I'll take pics for each of the steps to share here.

No comments: