Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Celebrate Alice

My aunts and uncles planned a surprise birthday/celebrate Alice party for my grandma down in Tidewater this past weekend. Since the party was on Sunday, we decided to drive down a day early to let the girls have some time at the beach. Tom wanted to get on the road by 5:00 am, but we stayed up a bit too late watching one of the Harry Potter movies and didn't leave until closer to 6:30 am. I sat in the back of the car with the girls to keep them entertained since we'd be in the car for four hours, which worked out pretty well. Stasa and I slept a good part of the trip and even Lexi took a short nap. They both kept themselves entertained with the pile of books we brought with us. 

We finally made it to Virginia Beach only to be greeted with grey skies. Lucky for us it was still warm, though a bit muggy, so we parked and headed out to the beach to let the girls play.

Stasa was apprehensive of the water at first, but quickly warmed up to it and loved "jumping" over the waves, a fun little game I wish I hadn't started - my arms were t.i.r.e.d. after 20 minutes of that. Lexi HATED the water, even with me carrying her in and it took some time for her to calm down after that, but once she did she was completely content sitting in the sand and digging. I'm pretty sure she could have happily played there for hours. We stayed and played for almost two hours only to have the beach closed due to an electrical storm. 
(It was so weird how the sky in the background was so ominous and grey and the sky above us was blue and sunny.)

So we left and grabbed a bite to eat at a terrible Mexican restaurant that was horrendously overpriced. Their only saving grace was their frozen margarita and pina colada machines. 
While we were at lunch we heard that they closed the beach for a minimum of two hours. Since it was already after lunch time, we strolled the boardwalk in search of ice cream, found some amazing soft serve, then headed over to our hotel for a shower and quick nap. Well, Tom and I managed to get a nap while the girls played and watched cartoons.

That night we met up with a work friend and his family for some good old fashioned fried chicken from Moseberth's. I went to grade school with one of the girls who now runs the place and hadn't been there in ages. Tom said it was probably the best fried chicken he's ever had.

Then it was party day. We got up, had a bite to eat, showered, dressed, packed and headed over to Portsmouth to kill some time until the party started. We stopped at a Harley store so Tom could pick up a Portsmouth Harley shirt (representing my hometown!), then picked up some coffee and donuts before heading over to a playground to let the kids burn off some energy. Though by then Lexi had fallen asleep, so it was just Tom and Stasa enjoying the playground. 

Finally, around 11:30 or so we headed over to my aunt and uncle's house for the party. Their house is gorgeous and has so much beautiful light streaming in. It's right on the river, too, so if you walk out on the pier you can see and hear both the river lapping and the cat-o-nine tails blowing in the wind. RELAXING. What was not relaxing was having Stasa declare that her tummy hurt and then her throwing up allllllllll over their leather couch and floor. And then again outside. And again in the car on the ride home. :-/

But the party was nice and it was great seeing so many of Grandma's friends who I haven't seen in ages. So many of them looked mostly the same and even recognized me, though it probably helped that I was toting around my mini-me. I think Grandma really enjoyed the party, too, and she was quite surprised, so much so that she didn't even recognize her own sister when she walked through the door. 

After the party we took off for home with Jeff and David hitching a ride. We ended up hitting horrible traffic thanks in part to the regular old Sunday-coming-home-from-wherever traffic and the huge storm we drove into. Oh and we had to stop a couple of times to get food and gas and to let some of our travel companions relieve themselves *cough*David*cough*. We ended up getting home around 9:30, quickly put the girls to bed and then I unpacked everything and stuffed all of our clothes and beach things in the washer before heading to bed myself. I kept Stasa home on Monday just to monitor her and she was 100% better once she woke up in the morning, but then poor Tom came home in the afternoon with the same symptoms Stasa had. I'm crossing my everything that Lexi and I stay healthy. 

No comments: