Monday, June 18, 2012

Summatime

It's officially summer, although I suppose it's been summer for awhile now and I'm just so far behind in everything, but whatareyougonnado, ya know?

June has found us outside as often as possible, usually at the pool or just playing in our cul-de-sac.I really want to get Stasa swim lessons this summer since she's become so independent in the pool and only ever wants to play in the big kid pool. I thought this would be a huge problem because of Lexi, but really that kid has zero desire to be in either pool unless I'm holding her. I'm also surprised at how well Stasa listens at the pool. She doesn't fight us when it's break time - she tells *us* when it's time to get out and just hops out on her own. She knows to wait for the lifeguard to be in the big chair before getting in and asks our permission first, too. I'm really impressed with her big girl behavior.






After watching both girls ride around the cul-de-sac we had a reality check about their "rides." Stasa is in desperate need of a bigger bike. She's long outgrown her trike and it's almost time for Lexi to start using it. At least Little Sister thinks she's ready.



We stopped by a local bike store this past weekend to pick up new inner tubes for one of our joggers. While we were waiting we had Stasa fitted for a bike. Size 16"! I was expecting 12ish, not 16" going on 18". I spent that afternoon scouring stores and craigslist for a deal and couldn't find much under $75. The bike store had a used bike in great condition for $90 and we just might get that since it'll need to last for all of our kids. 


Stasa and Lexi have also embraced getting down and dirty outside. If there's a dirt pile to play with, they'll find it. Last summer we picked up a few old metal Tonka trucks with the intention to clean them up and repaint them. We haven't quite gotten around to the restoration yet so we let the girls play with them as is for now.



Stas LOVES piling in ash and dirt in the dump truck and while she was digging she found a new-to-her bug. ROLY POLY! We taught her how to pick it up to make them roll up into a ball and she loved it.


The girl loves pretty much every bug with the exception of spiders. I have no idea how she became so spider phobic because I've tried to do everything I can to not act scared when I'm around them and her. But seriously, I can't blame her. Those suckers are frightening. And I'm fairly certain they carry weapons. I digress.

We're looking forward to hosting our friends for the July 4th holiday and Stasa is already wound up about having her friend, Avery, here. She's already declared that she and Avery will go to the pool, and has decided where Avery will sleep and eat and play, and she and Avery will take a bath and watch a movie, and she and Avery are best friends. I can't wait - it's going to be a blast!

For now, I need less work time and more this time:

No comments: