Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Who cries over poop?

We've been slowly introducing the potty to Stasa and we ask her all of the time if she wants to sit on it - sometimes she does, but a lot of times she just wants it nearby and will carry it from room to room. The past weekend she managed to poop on it twice. We clapped and cheered and gave her some jelly beans. She cried. She wanted to pick up her poop and really didn't like me dumping it in the toilet. She did get more excited when we let her flush the toilet and say bye bye to it. 

Now she's got some sort of complex about pooping in her diaper. It's obvious when she's going and I'll ask her if she needs to go potty and she says no. If instead of asking I just say "let's go potty" and put her on it, she freaks out. But then she cries the minute she's done pooping in her diaper and sadly brings me a diaper and wipe. While she's laying there crying, she's saying "poo poo potty." So the whole time I'm changing her I'm reassuring her that it's okay to poop in her diaper and maybe next time she'll go on the potty. 

It would be much more convenient for me to really focus on potty training while I'm on maternity leave, but I don't want to discourage her interest either. She's also extremely interested in her "poo poo book" that Uncle Pete got her (Everyone Poops). I'm thinking maybe I should find a few more potty training books for her. Perhaps a trip to the library is due. Any book suggestions?

No comments: